Chor Leoni: C/4 CANADIAN CHORAL COMPOSITION COMPETITION
CHOR LEONI ANNOUNCES THE 2023 C/4: CANADIAN CHORAL COMPOSITION COMPETITION IS NOW OPEN FOR SUBMISSIONS
Keep reading for all the details of next season’s competition, or click here to download a PDF version.
In a new and unique format, composers are asked to apply to the competition by submitting the following by Noon Pacific Time on March 15, 2022
- A cover letter which includes an introduction and artist statement;
- A current CV;
- Three work samples, with three scores presented in pdf form along with accompanying Mp3 recordings. Recordings can be live performances or midi renderings. Composers are encouraged to submit choral works as a part of their work sample submissions.
From the submissions, Chor Leoni Artistic Director Erick Lichte will select three finalist composers and will commission them to write new works for male choir to be presented throughout Chor Leoni’s 2022-23 season. Composers will creatively collaborate with Erick Lichte on the theme, text and scoring for their work. All of the C4 works and composers will then be featured at the choir’s C4 concert event in June, 2023.
Final versions of the scores will be due to the choir as agreed to by Chor Leoni and the composer.
In addition, the finalist composers will
- Be flown to Vancouver Wednesday, May 31, 2023, or other transportation based on distance.
- Be featured in an episode of Chor Leoni’s Inside web program.
- Be hosted in a downtown Vancouver hotel for three nights (Wednesday May 31, checkout Saturday June 3);
- attend a workshop/rehearsal with Chor Leoni on their works on Wednesday May 31, 2023;
- attend C/4 on Friday June 2 at Saint Andrew’s-Wesley United Church;
- participate in an in-concert conversation with Erick Lichte from the stage at C/4;
- receive a video and recording of Chor Leoni singing the work
- Receive a $1500 stipend for the composition of the work.
There are no fees to apply to C/4.
Composers must be citizens or Permanent Residents of Canada and must attend all C/4 events in Vancouver. Previous C/4 winners are excluded.
Deadline for submissions: complete submissions must be received by Noon Pacific Time March 15, 2022
Submissions must be sent to email@example.com. Composers are encouraged to upload large files to a cloud-based file-sharing site. Please ensure files will be available through April 15, 2022.
Finalists will be notified in April, 2022.
Want to learn more about the finalists from 2020’s call? Click here for more info and to buy tickets to this season’s C/4 concert.