Job Posting – Sing Summer Assistant Cook
Sing Summer Camps – Assistant Cook
Dates: Saturday, August 12th – Saturday, August 26th, 2023
Location: Berwick United Church Campgrounds
As assistant cook, you will report to the head cook and work alongside a team of youth hired for dishwashing and food service duties. The assistant cook will assist the head cook in the preparation of meals and the day to day running of the kitchen, including cleaning the equipment, checking supplies and rotating food stock. You’ll be responsible for catering to a limited number of special diets such as vegetarian, vegan, celiac, and gluten-free. The camp cook will be responsible for the preparation of 3 meals per day and light refreshments to be served to campers. We are looking for somebody who is comfortable in a camp kitchen environment and with a variety of equipment (camp), and who likes to be hands-on. Accommodations will be provided to the selected candidate on the Berwick United Church Campgrounds.
To apply, contact: email@example.com
- Ordering and organizing the inventory storage
- Meal preparation and cooking
- Maintaining a clean kitchen, including all equipment, pots, and pans
- Making sure the kitchen is a safe and hygienic place to work
- Control portion costs by working out the number of portions per food batch
Sing Summer consists of multiple programs with varying enrolment numbers. The two core programs are our Junior & Youth Choir Camp (which runs from August 14th – 20th) and our Adult Choir Camp (which runs from August 22nd – 27th). The first week will consist of 3 meals per day for approximately 75 campers and staff. The second week will consist of 3 meals per day for approximately 100 campers and staff. Additional programs over the weekends will mean additional participants at select meal times. This will be communicated in advance to the head cook.
Compensation for this role will be $2000. Employment Insurance and Canada Pension Plan amounts will be deducted.
- Experience of working in a fast paced kitchen chef
- Some management experience will help
- Ability to multitask
- Health and safety or food hygiene qualifications are essential to this position
- Ability to work long days and weekends
- Ability to work in fast paced environment
- Attention to details in work is important.
- Food and safety certificate. – WHMIS certified