Job Posting – Sing Summer Head Cook
Dates: Saturday, August 12th – Saturday, August 26th, 2023
Location: Berwick United Church Campgrounds
For 2 weeks every summer, voices raised together in song float among the hemlocks of the Berwick United Church Campground. A wonderful and magical place, it has been the home of the NSCF Sing Summer program for 40 years, each year welcoming over 200 singers in two weeks of programs. The rustic and charming multi-coloured cabins, the wonderful indoor and outdoor activity spaces, and the centre pavilion for rehearsals in the open air, make it the perfect location to sing, to learn, to connect, and to have a great time – all the while becoming a part of the choral community.
Our guest conductors, artistic and caregiving staff love being a part of these programs and are truly dedicated to creating an accepting and welcoming culture at camp where inspiration abounds and creativity can be set free!
As Kitchen Supervisor and Head Cook, you will be leading a team consisting of an assistant cook and youth hired for dishwashing and food service duties. In addition, the Head Cook will be responsible for preparing menus/meals, managing the camp dining budget and overseeing the day to day running of the kitchen, including cleaning the equipment, checking supplies and rotating food stock. The kitchen is equipped with steam ovens, walk in fridge, dishwasher, and plenty of prep space. The Head Cook will be responsible for the preparation of 3 meals per day and light refreshments to be served to campers. We are looking for somebody who is comfortable in a camp kitchen environment and with a variety of equipment (camp) and who likes to be hands-on. Accommodations and meals will be provided to the selected candidate on the Berwick United Church Campgrounds.
- Ordering and organizing the inventory storage
- Planning menus, apportion ingredients and use food surpluses (buffet style dining)
- Meal preparation and cooking
- Maintaining a clean kitchen, including all equipment, pots, and pans
- Making sure the kitchen is a safe and hygienic place to work
- Managing the kitchen and dining room staff
- Control portion costs by working out the number of portions per food batch
Sing Summer consists of multiple programs with varying enrolment numbers. The two core programs are our Junior & Youth Choir Camp (which runs from August 13th – 19th) and our Adult Choir Camp (which runs from August 21st – 26th). The first week will consist of 3 meals per day for approximately 75 campers and staff. The second week will consist of 3 meals per day for approximately 100 campers and staff. Additional programs over the weekends will mean additional participants at select meal times. This will be communicated in advance to the Head Cook
Compensation for this role will be $3000. Employment Insurance and Canada Pension Plan amounts will be deducted.
- Experience of working and running a fast paced kitchen
- Some management experience would be an asset
- Ability to multitask
- Health and safety or food hygiene qualifications are essential to this position
- Ability to work long days and weekends
- Ability to work in fast paced environment
- Attention to details in work is important.
- Food and safety certificate. – WHMIS certified
To apply, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org